Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Evaluation - Representation

For part of my research and planning I had to think carefully about representation when listening to existing radio stations. I listened to similar style stations to Bright FM to get an idea of how the presenters and news presenters spoke, what kind of language they used and their tone of voice to see how they were targeting a particular audience.

News Presenters - Representation

Whilst scripting my preliminary task I didn't give much though on how I wanted the characters to sound and I definitely didn't think about representation. After listening to a number of radio show, news bulletins that included voxpops, soundbites and adverts, I realised how crucial it is to think carefully about representation when choosing your actors.

When I had finished scripting my show, I went about choosing actors to play each characters, varying from the show presenter, news presenter, voxpops, adverts and jingles. I gave a lot of consideration while choosing the actors and thought a lot about representation.

Choosing Voices - Representation

When researching I notice similar stations to Bright FM had a mature and relaxed voice. For my presenter I wanted a male,calm, laid back and soothing voice to help reflect the stye/genre of my radio show. I chose Chris the photography/art teacher at college, as I felt he had a mature yet laid back voice.



After listening to number of news bulletins I realised that news presenters are often have a sense of authority and are more serious and formal than the shows presenter, the correspondent and the voxpops. So I chose Jade the English teacher at college, as I felt she had a mature, sophisticated and serious voice.



I chose Alex the media/film teacher at college for my Jingles. I wanted to use the same voice throughout my show, so the show would have a recognisable identity. I felt that Alex had a sense of authority and I wanted to have a formal, serious voice but at the same time laid back and relaxed voice. Here below is a clip of all the Jingles, after the mistakes and pauses were edited out but before I added sound effects and added compression.



For my voxpops I wanted people to sound informal and unofficial, as they were representing member of the public. I stitches the actors carefully, but when editing I didn't take out the pauses making it sound more authentic. I chose young students as the news story is about students protesting.






For another news story I chose older more formal and serious voices, as the news story was aimed at an older audience and would not have involved younger members of the public.






The clips below show how carefully I though about representation. The first one is in the advert for swift cabs. I wanted the voice to age so I got Louise the Drama teacher at college to do two different voices one as a middle aged woman and one as an old lady. The second one if for an album. This advert is specifically targeted at the type of audience that would listen to Bright FM. I wanted the voice to be upbeat, light hearted and enthusiastic, which not only helps represent the type of music will be on the album but also helps the advert sound more authentic.




No comments:

Post a Comment